Flatwater Guides at the Whitewater Center are responsible for the education, safety, and enjoyment of guests participating in paddle sports activities on the Catawba River. Guides are trained to safely operate both flatwater kayak and stand-up paddleboard activities while creating memorable experiences for guests. Previous experience is not required.
- Interact with guests in a positive and friendly manner, and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Assist guests on and off flatwater kayaks and SUP boards
- Lead guests on guided tours as needed, dependent upon varying guest volume
- Follow all employee conduct rules and dress according to departmental appearance standards
- Deliver a professional service to Whitewater guests
- Respectfully communicate and enforce all Whitewater Center regulations and policies
- Respond quickly and appropriately to all emergencies following the Whitewater Center/Flatwater emergency action plan
- Ensure that all equipment is kept in excellent working order
- Complete assigned periodic inspections and adhere to preventative maintenance programs
- Must be 17 years of age
- Must be able to swim
- Comfortable in and around moving water
- Ability to receive direction, and work without direct supervision
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Maintain availability to work weekends and holidays
- Current First Aid, CPR & AED Certification – courses are offered by the Whitewater Center
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Applicants must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations
- Ability to work outdoors for sustained periods of time, with varying weather conditions
- Demonstrate basic paddling techniques and rescue application required by the position
- Access to the Whitewater Center’s pass activities
- Staff discount program and pro deals
Overview of Outdoor Activities Department
The Outdoor Activities Department is responsible for leading and supporting experiences in a variety of water and land-based sports. The department also instructs guests through the Whitewater Center’s Outdoor School and Summer Camps. Outdoor Activities employees engage with guests through an assortment of pass activities and help create memorable outdoor experiences.
Working at Whitewater
Whitewater is rooted in the belief that the active, outdoor lifestyle is for everyone. We are a team whose culture and work environment are dedicated to providing real engagement through authentic experiences. By promoting an active, outdoor lifestyle, we build community and opportunities for people to come together.
Applicants interested in this position apply via the general application link below.
The general application is a 2-step process. Applicants must complete the online general application and then participate in a one-way video interview. The invitation to participate in the video interview will be emailed after you complete the online forms. The interview takes 15-20 minutes to complete and is a series of questions answered with a webcam or the mobile app.
Applicants interested in this specific opportunity should state their employment preferences in the online application.
Thank you for your interest in employment at the Whitewater Center.